Friday, August 16, 2013

Making a "marble" canvas


Greetings, my fine feathered friend!
I had an idea for an acrylic painting that had a marble background, and feeling adventurous I decided to give it a try.  Thankfully there is a lot written about how to paint faux marble so I had a generally idea of how to go about it.
Like a colored pencil piece, this involved lots of layers.  First I started with a solid base color.  Then using a natural sponge I dabbed in more colors.  I used a goose biot feather to paint the veins in the "marble."  The biot is from the leading edge of the primary wing feather in case you were wondering.  I lightly glazed white over the various layers to give the illusion of depth.  Lastly I put a thin layer of gloss medium over the canvas to give it a "smooth" look.
The next "marble" experiment will be using black canvas to make a dark marble.  Should be fun! :)
Happy Flying!

1 comment:

  1. actually thought it was a piece of real marble, well done :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for perching in my blog tree!